About Me

Originally from Rochester, NY, I packed up my life after graduating college and moved to South Korea in September 2010 to follow my heart and my ambitions. I am currently teaching English as a Second Language in a public middle school in Suwon.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Humorous Insight into Korean Life: ROKetship.com


Hey everyone,

Thanks to a friend's blog, I just came across this great website called ROKetship.com. On this website are comics, drawn by an American living in Korea, documenting the quirks of Korean culture that often jolt Americans living there. It seems that some of these you might not "get' unless you actually live in Korea, but they're interesting anyway, and they give some insight into what it's like to be a foreigner in Korea. I've already looked at a bunch and find them interesting and funny and thought to share them with you all. Here's the intro from the artist to the website, to give you a better idea:

Hi, my name is Luke Martin and my wife and I have been in Korea for a little while now. We are here teaching English and are having the time of our lives, though our hearts are still at home in Seattle, Washington, USA.

Since living South Korea, I have noticed the many large and small ways that life is different in this country and, on my wife’s suggestion, I began drawing a comic strip about them. Hence, the magic that became, ROKetship! (ROK = Republic of Korea). The strip is a cultural comedy of sorts, which pokes fun at foreign life on this planet called, Korea! It seems like every day is just bursting with quirky inspirations. I have already stuffed a note book full of ideas for new strips.

My humble aim for ROKetship is for it to become the voice for Westerners living in Korea. Comics are much funnier when they reflect real life, so if you have any ideas for strips, please send ‘em over!

Thanks for swinging by and I hope you enjoy ROKetship!
Laugh often,

-Luke




See more at www.roketship.com! I know I'll definitely be looking at them! Thanks to Anais for introducing me to the website =)

Lots o' love. 6 days and counting!

Cheers,
Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment