About Me

Originally from Rochester, NY, I packed up my life after graduating college and moved to South Korea in September 2010 to follow my heart and my ambitions. I am currently teaching English as a Second Language in a public middle school in Suwon.

Friday, February 11, 2011

The Good, The Bad, and The Korean

Now that I've been here for nearly 5 months, the pros and cons of living in Korea are everyday matters. Many of these things are cultural, while others are just the realities of living in a foreign country. This blog entry is to help my readers understand what some of these are by categorizing these things into What I Miss and What I Don't Miss about home. So here goes, I imagine I'll continue to add things to this list, but for now, here's what I got:

What I Miss
- Speaking the language
- Non-smoking regulations at bars and restaurants and therefore not needing to shower and air out my clothes after any outing.
- Hearing a verbal "excuse me" after an accidental bumping on the street or subway
- Not needing to rely on public transportation
- An oven in my kitchen
- Being able to read labels on the food I buy
- My friends and family
- Available dance classes in my city
- Not getting stared at all the time
- Hearing something besides K-pop music. Anywhere.
- Bread. (whole wheat specifically)
- I didn't know this before, but not knowing how awesome How I Met Your Mother is.
- Milk, yogurt, or juice with an expiration date more than 5 days after you buy it at the store
- Heated bathrooms



What I Don't Miss
- Taxes
- The job hunt
- Living sans salary
- Living in a fairly isolated city- now I'm an hour subway journey away from one of the most bustling cities in Asia
- Enduring an international long-distance relationship
- Struggles with chopstick usage
- Expensive groceries and utility bills
- Paying rent
- Unhelpful staff
- Paying at least $20 anytime I go out for dinner
- Being approached by ass-holey guys at bars who think they're God's gift to women. Korean men are generally very shy so they leave us alone and I can have my girls' nights in peace.
- Having to pay for every little thing at restaurants. Here, you always get free appetizers (if you're eating Korean food) and get unlimited refills of sidedishes.


Well, that's all for now. You might see this list pop up once in a while in later posts so keep your eyes out!

Ta-ta for now!

-Melissa

2 comments:

  1. interesting stuff. things made me sad and they made me laugh. mainly "bread" and "my friends and family", and "struggles with chopstick usage", respectively.
    what I miss:
    - Wegmans
    - turn signals
    - boyfriend cuddles
    - Caffie-poo
    - $3 drinks
    - you

    What I don't miss
    - taking my car errywhere
    - lack of diversity
    this may turn into a blog entry for me too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny what you end up missing when you live someplace abroad. It seems like you can never predict what it'll be. I'm digging this list, and this blog entry, and, of course, you!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete